The San Antonio Book Festival (SABF) seeks a part-time Communications Director to join the SABF team. SABF celebrates national and local authors and their contributions to the culture of literacy, ideas, and imagination.
SUMMARY: The Communications Director is responsible for devising and implementing strategies that advance the mission of the San Antonio Book Festival. This position reports to the SABF Executive Director and joins the Literary Director and Managing Director to make up the Book Festival team. The fast-paced and multi-dimensional nature of this role requires an exceptionally well-organized, proactive professional who can interact effectively and collaborate with SABF staff and board and external partners.
- Works in partnership with SABF leadership to develop and carry out strategic communications plans
- Serves as the primary contact in media relations
- Manages content creation for the website, newsletter, and social media accounts to engage and grow the Book Festival audience
- Develops branded in-house marketing collateral (postcards, programs, e-marketing campaigns, social media photos, and videos);
- Assists SABF leadership with communication to donors, authors, and vendors
- Manages and maintains SABF’s digital resources, including contact database
- Coordinates top-level speaking points for SABF leadership for effective promotion of SABF events and initiatives
- Drafts, edits, and proofreads grant applications and reporting in collaboration with SABF Executive Director
- Contributes to total effectiveness of the organization through open communication, proactive problem solving, offering creative ideas and working as a positive and engaged team member;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
EXPECTED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Affinity toward literature and literary culture is preferred.
- Strong grasp of grammar and proofreading skills, as well as a close attention to detail
- Effective and efficient time management skills
- High proficiency in social media platforms, including Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and Twitter
- Advanced understanding of communications trends and knowledge of new channels and tools
- High fluency in WordPress and Adobe Suite, particularly InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop
- Demonstrated excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to successfully communicate with the public, other employees, and vendors
- Ability to represent the organization confidently when engaging with media and at a variety of external events
- Spanish fluency preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, journalism, or related field required
- Minimum 3 years experience managing social media accounts
- 5+ years experience cultivating relationships with key media, conducting marketing campaigns, etc.
SALARY: The salary for this part-time position is $35,000.
LOCATION: This position is based in San Antonio, Texas. Candidates seeking remote employment will not be considered.
- Flexible work arrangements
- Medical and dental benefits for employee
- Simple IRA match
- PTO, which increases with tenure, as well as generous holiday time off
- Access to a wealth of books
INCLUSION STATEMENT: All applications and employees who are drawn to serve our mission will enjoy equality of opportunity and fair treatment without regard to race, color, age, religion, pregnancy, sex, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, and prior protected activity.
TO APPLY: Send a cover letter, resume, and graphics portfolio/samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. Position will remain open until filled. Desired start date for this position is October 3, 2022.