The 2017 San Antonio Book Festival marks the 5th anniversary of this free literary event. To recognize this significant milestone, we have added five—count ’em: one, two, three, four, Cinco!—wonderful new additions to Book Festival weekend. Cheers to our 5th annual SABF!
(Listed in alphabetical order because we can’t decide which we love most)
- Beer Garden — Who doesn’t love booze with their books? This year stop by the Frost Garden in the Southwest School of Art to purchase some brews from our friends at Alamo Beer.
- Book Appétit luncheon — Our annual Literary Feast is now a luncheon! We’re mixing things up and proclaiming “lunch is the new dinner.” This fundraising event (our only fundraiser) will feature Ann Patchett, The New York Times bestselling author of 10 books, including her most recent novel, Commonwealth, which has spent 16 weeks on the Times’ bestseller list. Don’t miss this special opportunity—get your seats now.
- Life-Size Chess Board — Bigger is better in our 5th year so we’re bringing a giant chess board to Geektown, the Festival’s space for teens. Courtesy of Jefferson High School, the chess board will be one of many attractions in our expanded Geektown. Brush up on your chess skills! (We assure you it won’t be like wizard’s chess.)
- The Moth Mainstage — San Antonio, you’re going to love The Moth, the renowned and beloved show dedicated to the art and craft of storytelling. If you’re not familiar, read our primer and be sure to get your tickets to the show on April 7 at the Majestic Theatre. It’s going to be epic.
- Popcorn & a Trailer — Did you know some books have book trailers the way movies have movie trailers? We’re turning the Chihuly atrium in the Central Library into a lounge where you can take a break and check out some book trailers. If you like the trailer, see if you can make the author’s session or buy the book! Popcorn courtesy of Santikos.
High-five on these 5 new additions! See you on April 8!